Work Experience at Seaford Secondary College
- Senior School students over the age of 15 can do Work Experience
- Some Year 10 students must do it as part of their VET program, others may opt to do it
- All Year 11 students do 1 week of Work Experience in Week 10 of Term 2, or if they have casual employment they can use 1 week of that in lieu of Work Experience
- Some Year 12 students do Work Experience as a required part of their VET program
Steps involved in doing Work Experience
- Students obtain a Work Experience agreement form from the Work Experience coordinator; this is a legal document which covers the student for insurance purposes
- Student completes side 1 of form, making sure they sign it as well as a parent/guardian
- Student then decides where to do their Work Experience and personally approaches an employer, the employer must complete and sign Part C of the form on side 2
- The form must then be returned to the Work Experience coordinator for processing, the student will be given 2 copies, one for the employer and one for their portfolio
Why Do 1 Week of Work Experience in Year 11?
1. It gets you SACE accreditation.
2. An opportunity to try a job you have planned (via the PLP) to do in the future.
3. Allows you to gain knowledge about a workplace.
4. Gives you the chance to acquire some new workplace skills.
5. A chance to do something different/challenging
6. Allows you to display and use abilities you have that may not be used at school.
7. Helps you gain confidence in yourself.
8. It may lead to a job (casual or permanent).
9. A chance to prove that you are mature and ready for the ‘world of work’.
10. Get a good employer report to put in your portfolio